Should I quit WordPress???

Now before you panic, let me share my thoughts… My books are not selling as fast as I would like. I work part time. I spend a lot of time doing this blog. My wife is not thrilled about all this, and neither, to be honest, am I.

My daughter… the older one… has been filling my head with visions of doing a blog where I spend the same amount of time… which is a lot… but I actually make a little money.

The thing is… and this might just be the scariest mo’fo’in’ thing of all my things ever… it would mean switching to a different host platform thingamajig… (yeah, no problem, what with me being such an obvious computer genius and all)…

I have three thousand followers on this blog… or so the good folks at WordPress tell me. But how many of those people are still around? I have asked you all about this very thing before, and I got some good answers. My buddy, the Gibber, even helped me out with research… because I am a moron… and people tried to explain it all to me and I got all panicky and backed out.

From what I gather, if I do switch, my blog still looks the same, and still works the same… which means I will still need help with lots of stuff. The real difference, if I understand the words that came out of my daughter’s mouth, is that I would no longer show up on the WordPress topic wall things or in your reader. You would have to switch over and follow me… by email???… does that make any sense??? I guess there would still be an actual blog you could go to… (geeze, I hope so, that is where all my book links to my poorly-selling books on my book page are, also thanks to my buddy, the Gibber)

Supposedly… or ‘supposably’, as my younger brother insists on pronouncing it… this is how all the ‘real’ bloggers… the ones that are making money… do it. There would be advertising… and a happy wife… and stuff. I am assuming I could do all the same goofy stuff I do now, and the blog would look the same.

Would any of you follow me to this new place?

Would advertising turn you off?… (not you, Trent, nothing turns you off)

Would I just lose a bunch of followers that don’t even have blogs any more or might even be deceased?

Would I start off so small that I wouldn’t make any money anyway?

Is ‘Bluehost’ or ‘Blue Host’ or whatever the way to go?

Would I end up with ten followers and then get huge and be made into a movie like the girl who did that blog about cooking all of Julia Child’s recipes, and become not only rich but also famous, and then have my books turned into major motion pictures and start hanging out with Brad Pit… who would totally play me in the sci-fi movies of my books, by the way?

Please tell me what you think… I can barely breathe right now.

This entry was posted in stuff about blogging, thinking about stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Should I quit WordPress???

1. Pingback: Are These 3 Tech Issues Slowing Down Your Business? - Stumble Forward

2. Al says:

I already follow you by email, although at the moment it is a weekly digest, so every Monday I get your list of new posts, and I come have a look. I have commented on one of your later posts about my thoughts on the earnings anyway. Either way, I think you should do what you feel you can handle.

3. For what it’s worth, IMO, if you have followers, they will move with whatever platform you pick. I chose wordpress because it seemed less troublesome platform. I have noticed wordpress makes it easier for people to follow with one button. Like me, lot’s of my readers aren’t technically savvy. So the easier it appears, the better. Whatever you decide, I’m sure your followers will find you. πŸ™‚

4. ginghamchick says:

Just my two cents πŸ™‚ I blog for me, and if people enjoy it as I go yippie, (because as you can see i started in 2010 and have 66 followers LOL) but if they don’t that’s ok too, but i started a site for my dad using bluehost and wordpress.org and love it too! you can do the same stuff its just a different platform… we each have own domain so that makes it easy for people to find us, as for you, your site is in my favorites in my drop downs and i peek in at least twice a week….

I am so turned on right now.

I don’t know which platform to go to or how to do it, but you need to do this. It is how people make money, if that’s possible at all, and it’s how you’ll best reach people regarding your book. And you need to reach people with it. WordPress is NOT a place that’s optimally suited for selling things, it’s a great platform, but not for that.

For the record, I would follow you through the fiery hot debris left over from the explosion of a thousand suns.

6. NotAPunkRocker says:

Some blogs that are self-hosted look fine, the ads are no worse or different than the ones on here now.

Some are just horrible. Or have multiple “Subscribe now!” pop ups, etc.

Some make commenting easy, others don’t.

In other words, if you are looking to profit then I will follow you, I just hope you fall into the category of “mostly seamless” vs “crazy, pain to navigate site that doesn’t want me to interact with you”.

7. Elyse says:

Like Paul, I follow folks more through email than through the reader. I guess everybody has their own system. Also like Paul, I’ve continued to follow Aussa and a few others. They DO show up in my reader (which I use on my phone when I am not at my computer). I can read them OK, but I can’t comment — I always get messages back saying that the comments temporarily can’t be made. But I’ve gotten that message since Aussa left WP.

I have a friend who just left Blogspot for WP. She kept her Blogspot site and links to her WP posts. In fact, I think Aussa does too, because I always get two notices for each of her posts. With you, of course, I would get 4,892 emails a day, times two…

8. Nurse Kelly says:

Yes, I would follow you – would never leave you. Do what is best for you and your family and then be at peace with that decision. Can’t you run ads on this site? And can’t you keep this one while you start the other at the same time? Ads don’t bother me as long as the site isn’t covered with them, I close out of sites like that immediately. Whatever you do, just be you, and everything will be alright. πŸ™‚

9. OLED PHAT nu glee says:

You should do whatever works for you. I barely find time to do the blog thing. How do new people know your new blog exists?

10. List of X says:

I’ll just say this – you don’t want to keep your wife unhappy.

11. PrairieChat says:

If what you do is because you enjoy it, stick with it. what the use in doing something (Paid or not) that doesn’t give you enjoyment. I write for different blogs for pay — It is completely different than what I do on wordpress and not as much fun.

• That is the key right there. I am only doing it if I can keep doing the same stuff I do here… but is what I do here of interest to the people out there? Thanks.

• PrairieChat says:

For many years I worked in marketing, writing professional material for Insurance agents. I was nationally recognized as a marketing wizard. I wrote news releases, informational pieces, opinion pieces along with photo essays. But none of those brought me the same satifaction of having someone read my WordPress short stories and poetry. These are pieces from my heart, that while they will never have the same reach as my business communication, they have become, what I believe, the best thing I do. It is not for everyone! It is not the same stuf I talk about when I’m out for a beer with the guys! And it’s definitely not for my business associates… who it is for are the few people that take time to like my work and the even far fewer who comment. They seem to “get me” in a way I can’t in others and it is so satisfying when they do. Will I ever make money doing this? No. Will I ever become famous for this? No. But when I write a Haiku, or take a photo to share, or if I share that I have feelings and even one person notices and hits like, I feel happy in a way I haven’t for years.

12. pbbpb says:

I really don’t see how posting something on one blogging site prevents you from posting it on another. ctrl-c ctrl-v, amigo.

13. Gibber says:

You can do both use a hosted domain like Bluehost and stay with WordPress.

14. Glazed says:

I’ve lost interest in other blog sites. I’m far less involved with Facebook than I used to be. I tried Reddit, but didn’t like it. WordPress seems to be the only thing I’m willing to stick to. So if I can follow you from WordPress, somehow, then I’ll still follow you. Your zaniness brightens up my day, and helps me to lighten up when I get too serious.

15. ksbeth says:

i say to go with what will work for you, and if you build it, they, (your readers) will come.

16. Will you have any control over what ads are shown?
    (Have you explored the ad program with WP?)
    Ads are a bit annoying, but money is money if you can work it out and make it work for you.
    Blogging is a full time job for the serious ones.
    Have to admit I’ve lost a few blogs that went big time and left WP – it’s a time issue. Reader is easy.
    WP might never be the same without the Zany!

17. I’d like to see ya stay on WordPress, but I’d understand if you wanted to move. I like your zany sense of humor.

Have you ever checked out the website problogger.net? Maybe some of the tips there could be helpful for you.

18. All I can say is that my daughter (“Cordelia”) started off on WordPress and then switched over and became self-hosted (www.CordeliaCallsItQuits.com). While she has never actually made money from her blog (as far as I know), she has used it as a stepping stone to earn money freelance writing and editing. Apparently, she has made quite a name for herself in the online world (just Google “Kelly Gurnett”). She was able to quit her day job and now writes and edits full-time, and is managing to support herself and her disabled husband. I would follow in her footsteps, but I’m afraid to leave my friends at WordPress and I don’t really care if I never make money from my blog.

As for you – yes, I would sign up to follow you by email if you went elsewhere. Provided, of course, I knew where you went.

19. D. Parker says:

I’d follow you…wherever you go, wait, did that sound creepy? Clearly, I meant your blog, yeah, that’s it. πŸ˜‰

20. Well bluehost is certainly the easiest way to go in terms of connecting a dot com WordPress site. However they want the yearly subscription up front and there are cheaper alternatives that only charge monthly. As far as losing subs in the reader it has actually has been brought to my attention that people can still use this reader to follow u. They will just have to manually input your URL into the WordPress account in order to continue getting your posts. As far as promo goes for your books I would look into sites like fiverr for cheap assistance and try posting the ebooks on more areas the big sellers like amazon. Who knows we’re u can build a following. If there was any other advice I could give it would be to do minor things like buzz feed or ezine articles to draw in consistent readership that could help with sales. It sucks to think about the amount of work it would take but since they are a couple of the most popular platforms out there it’s probably the only way to continuously build fans other then creating YouTube videos. Give it some thought and contact me cause if there’s anything I can help with I am game, good luck my friend.
    From fellow writer Antonio Westley πŸ™‚

• Thanks so much! A lot of that is above my pay grade and over my head, but I will pass it on to my daughter and other people. I hate the idea of having to do posts just to generate income. I think people like me because I have no set type of post… I am all over the dang place.

21. Paul says:

I actually follow all blogs by e-mail – including yours. I’ve never used the reader. It’s not easy as somedays I have 500 e-mails, but I get through it. I’ve just started “liking” posts to save some time if I don’t have anything to contribute. I’d still follow you – i follow a number of non-wordpress blogs including Aussa and some others. What is the issue with wordpressz? do they not allow sponsors?

• Wait… I follow her… and I see it in the reader I think… I am so confused…

• Paul says:

You know, I wondered about that. There is a place in the reader to input blog URL’s that you want to follow. Also, I get two separate e-mail notifications for Aussa’s blog – one is WordPress and the other isn’t – I often wondered about that but I am also pretty IT illiterate, even though I was an IT business analyst for years and wrote the product spec for enterprise computing programs. I can find my way around an A/S400 mainframe better than a PC. I just push buttons until I either get what I want or lose interest and wander away.