Have you ever considered…?

Have you ever considered the fact that if we cured all diseases, then the larger population would cause food shortages that would lead untold numbers of people to die of starvation? If we stopped all kinds of violence against one another, more people would starve or die of diseases. I have a sneaking suspicion that if we cured all diseases and ended all violence and solved the food problem, an asteroid would hit us. Or we would ruin the planet as a place to live… which we are already doing, but we could do it faster with more people.

I am not trying to depress you. And I don’t have any answers as to what all this means. I just wonder if anybody else ever thought about this stuff? Just like I sometimes wonder if vegetarians ever really thought through the ramifications of what would happen if they converted everyone on the planet and we stopped eating meat. I mean, people don’t raise cows for fun. They sell them. For meat. If people stop eating meat, those millions of cows aren’t going to be put in retirement homes.

Well, now I am not sure exactly where I am going with all this, so I think I will stop going there now.

This entry was posted in thinking about stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Have you ever considered…?

1. Paul says:

Ah man, WP just ate my comment. Anyway I had a good friend Elroy when I was trucking and he was anal about his truck being in perfect shape. He was an amazing licensed mechanic who could make anything with wheels better. I jumped into the passengers seat one day while we were waiting for a load and Elroy was idling the truck for the air conditioning. I noticed that two of the gauges on the dashboard weren’t working so i inquired why – sure there was a story. Elroy responded:

“They are my insurance.”

Me: “Against what?”

Elroy: “The universe will not tolerate perfection, so if I fix those gauges, something else, likely bigger, like a transmission, will break for sure.. So, I always leave at least one or two small things broken on the truck to keep big things from breaking.”

2. Please, if you could find it among your squirrels, kindly proceed with these thoughts. You got me hooked!

3. 1jaded1 says:

I do think about these things. I wonder if they provided enough food to feed the world, would it be nutrient dense enough to do anything but keep our sromachs full.

4. I’ll become a vegetarian the day cheeseburgers start growing on trees.

5. kunstkitchen says:

Maybe this could be called the “How now Brown Cow?’ Philosophical theory?

6. Does this mean we ought to celebrate the anniversary of the bubonic plague’s outbreak?

7. Henry Game says:

I’ll take a cow on, look after the fucker, drink the milk, shag it…scratch that.

8. List of X says:

Actually, just this morning I was thinking about what happens to the cows when we stop eating meat. And I think we’d still have to eat all the extra ones that can’t be supported by existing land – which would be easily 80% of the current cow population.

9. babysteps22 says:

Your first line, ‘if we cured all diseases..’ gave me a panic attack. I’m smack in the middle of a five and half year gruelling medical course. All that for..nothing?!

10. OLED PHAT nu glee says:

YEP my mind runs away like that sometimes too

If we cured food shortages and everyone lived, someone might be born that could figure all this out for us. They could fix it.

As for cows, we artificially breed them for meat. These aren’t animals that would breed like this naturally, we force them to do it. I think they would get along fine if we were all vegetarians. It takes about 100 times more energy to produce a cow than a turnip; just from an energy balance standpoint, turnip beats cow.

12. *sigh* disturbing questions…. but interesting thoughts! :-/