In case you have no idea what I am talking about, please read my last post so you can get caught up. Oh, and read all the comments too, while you are at it. Because we are going to figure out a way to make it clear and obvious when we are typing in a sarcastic tone. The world needs this. There are many good suggestions in the comments on that other post to get around the fact that we can’t use my original idea, which was to surround a sarcastic sentence with the > < symbols… but that turned out to be a code to tell the computer to remove the words you type in between the symbols…  go ahead and try it. So then I thought we could type all sarcastic thoughts using purple letters. Because all of my ideas always work!

But not everyone can make purple letters. And so far, nobody has figured out how to make purple letters in a comment box. (Bonus points if you figure that one out)… So, anyway, someone suggested we use the * symbol on either side of sarcastic bits, and someone else said we could use the / symbol.

Let’s put our minds to figuring this out. Until a company makes a keyboard that includes a sarcasm font, we are on our own.

This entry was posted in stuff about blogging, thinking about stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Okay, people, we are bloggers, the smartest and most creative people in the known universe… we can figure out this sarcasm thing…

I’m still going to use TIC

2. AdorablyA says:

Or we could add “leprechauns and unicorns”. That always works.
    e.g.: Oh all of the leprechauns and unicorns in the world are rejoicing at your brilliant idea, which is rarer than the rarest leprechauns and unicorns!

3. julie says:

“the > < symbols… but that turned out to be a code to tell the computer to remove the words you type in between the symbols…"

Ok, this is beyond dumb. Why would you type the words, then use code to tell the computer to remove the words? If you don't want the words there, how bout not typing them in the first place??

4. Glazed says:

So, if sarcasm is supposed to be subtle, why not use all lower-case letters like this: i’m being sarcastic. Better yet, you can connect the letters together like this: i’mbeingsarcastic. That’s subtle because it takes a little time to figure it out, just like sarcasm.

5. adamjasonp says:

Usually, a wink ( 😉 ) would do for sarcasm, I have so used. No need for purple text or… <whatever>.

6. List of X says:

I wonder what happens if I do this….
    This is a good day

7. Doobster418 says:

>Sarcastic<? Does this work? The only problem is that if one uses those characters on others' blogs, they won't realize that you're being sarcastic unless you explain it. Hmm.

8. List of X says:

HoW abouT endinG eacH worD witH a capitaL letteR?

9. Nurse Kelly says:

I agree with Rose up above – it should remain subtle and left up to the reader to decipher. If they don’t get it, or you, then it’s up to them to decide if they want to put the effort into getting to know your sense of humor – better. You don’t really want to spell everything out for people do you Arthur?

10. Rose Red says:

I think you broke something that didn’t need fixing. The point of sarcasm is the subtlety. It’s like crushed red pepper. Unless you think you have the shaker on and really it’s open all the way and you dump a lot of the pepper on.